Sunday, October 12, 2008

But Wait.....There's More

I forgot to mention some of this in my original post. Toward the end, I started feeling emotional, bitter feelings toward WCEC, and it threw me off. Anyway, I thought I'd add the rest of what happened to me and my child at Weiskopf Child Evaluation Center.

Just before the patients were being called back for their results, my son was playing with a little girl who was also being evaluated. They were taking turns closing the door to the "play" area, and they were taking turns turning the light off or on. There was really NOTHING else for them to do. After the door was closed 3 times and the lights were turned off twice, the receptionist came out and literally YELLED at the children. What?? She should be used to stuff like that. SHE WORKS IN AN OFFICE FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also forgot to mention that I found out after our hellish appointment that they do in fact have afternoon appointments that start after luncht. That time would have worked better for us. But I was LIED to.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that when I got my report by mail, ages after the day of our evaluation, it was full of lies. The main one being that the psychologist could not get an accurate evaluation of my child because he kept putting the blocks and things into his mouth. Okay, one, that was a lie. I was there the whole time and my son never put anything into his mouth. I can only think that the "shrink" got my child confused with one of the others being evaluated that morning. Two, if she couldn't get an accurate evaluation, how could she have made a diagnosis???

Also in the report was that they recommended that my son have Occupational Therapy. Nope. The only things they recommended to me were 1) a hearing test to make sure his speech delay was not hearing related, 2) Speech Therapy, and 3) pre-school.

I really did not like or appreciate the treatment my child received at WCEC. They were too slow in getting my appointment. They lied about everything. I couldn't even get started getting my child his services right away because they took their own sweet time getting my report back to me. It was a JOKE!

I have since found out that there are several other places one can take their child to for evaluation. I would recommend any of them over WCEC. One place is called Edelson & Associates (I think, it's something like that anyway) and the other is called Square One.

If you have to go to WCEC, you have my sympathy.

1 comment:

grochetgranny3 said...

After hearing what other parents say and reading your post, I am so so glad they lost all of our information twice. I ended up taking my son to Cardinal Hill Hospital Ped Rehab for his first evals. The best place I ever experienced is Cincinnati Children's Hospital. They work very quickly and very well together as a team to help a child